The purpose of this pilot grant program is to foster interdisciplinary collaboration between ML experts and medical imaging clinicians and researchers at the University of Wisconsin’s Departments of Radiology and Medical Physics, and College of Engineering. Specific topics of interest include the development and characterization of novel ML methods with significant medical imaging applications, and the development and validation of new imaging applications for state-of-the-art ML methods.
In 2018, pilot grants were awarded to the following collaborative teams:
– Kevin Johnson, Alejandro Roldan, and Shiva Rudraraju, “Patient specific hemodynamics using machine learning based fusion of MRI measurements and computational fluid dynamics”
– Varun Jog and Alan McMillan, “DeepRad: An accessible, open-source tool for deep learning in medical imaging”
This RFA will seek to fund proposals that are likely to spark enduring collaborations and lead to external funding for further research. Pilot awards are $50,000 maximum in direct costs for 12 months of support. Potential applicants are encouraged to contact Diego Hernando (email@example.com) or Varun Jog (firstname.lastname@example.org) with questions about programmatic relevance.
- Mandatory Letter of Intent Receipt Date: August 23, 2019
- Invitation to submit full application based on selected LOIs: September 2, 2019
- Application Receipt Date: November 1, 2019
- Peer Review Period: November 1-November 20, 2019
- Committee Review Date: November 20-November 30, 2019
- Award Announcement Date: December 2, 2019
- Grant Start Date: January 1, 2020 – July 1, 2020 (per research team preference)
- Grant End Date: 12 months after grant start date
For any administrative questions, please contact:
- SMPH/Radiology contact: Karen Knipschild (email@example.com)
- CoE/GIE contact: Page Metcalf (firstname.lastname@example.org)